Confidence is a funny thing – sometimes it’s difficult to imagine why someone doesn’t feel confident about their ability to handle a situation when we know they could easily do it.
A key issue to understand is that inside all of us there’s a voice which determines how we react to many of life’s situations. It’s a voice which tells us which things we’re good at and which things we’re likely to fail at.
It’s a voice we generate ourselves based on many years of experience of life. Very often it can be helpful but it can also be a great handicap.
Never underestimate the power of positive thinking. Every day we hear about human achievements which initially, people probably scoffed at and said ‘You’ll never do it!’ However when someone really believes in their ability to deliver, they often make it.
Most people go through their lives at a level of personal achievement far below what they could really do. This is mostly because no one has ever taken the time to nurture or encourage them.
The greater the ability someone has to attain their full potential the better the chance they will perform at their highest level and ultimately succeed.
What does success mean?
Different people measure success differently, some people’s views of success are:
- For many it will be money, power, or material possessions
- Or perhaps promotion and the enhanced status that comes with it
- Others will judge their success in life by their ability to influence their surroundings in a much broader sense, for example, improving the environment
- Others will especially value relationships with their immediate circle of family, friends or colleagues
- Many people find satisfaction in helping, either materially or spiritually, people less able than themselves, or those who are disadvantaged in some way.
4 Key ways to be successful in life:
- Develop a positive self-image
- Adopt a ‘can do’ approach
- Be clear about what you want
- Develop a written action plan