Management as an Art:
Meaning of Art:
- It is the practical way of doing specific things.
- Art involves the practical application of personal skills and knowledge to achieve concrete results.
- Art is a personalized process and every artist has his own style.
Main elements of art are
- Personal skills
- Practical know-how
- Constant practice aimed perfection
Management is an art because of the following facts.
- Management process involves the use of practical knowledge and personal skill
- Management seeks to achieve concrete practical results
- Management is creative
- Management is a personalized process
Management as a Science:
Meaning of science:
- Science is a systematized body of knowledge pertaining to a particular field of inquiry.
- It contains principles and theories developed through continuous observation, experimentation and research.
- The principles have universal applicability
- The organized body of knowledge can be taught and learnt in the classroom.
Management is a science because it contains all the essentials of science.
- Principles and theories are now available in the area of management
- Principles of management have been evolved only through practical experience and theoretical research.
- Application management theory can be demonstrated through quasi-laboratory method of case studies.
- Management theories and principles may be taught inside the classroom.
- But management is a social science like economics since it involves the study of human behavior.
Management is both science and art:
- The science of management is like medicine which is learnt in an institution but perfected only through practice in the clinics.
- Hence management may be learnt in the class room but practice is required to make its successful use.
- We can say that management is both an art and a science hence it contains general principles and also requires certain personal skills to achieve the desired results.