What is a meeting?
A meeting is a gathering of people to present or exchange information, plan joint activities, make decisions, or carry out actions already agreed upon. Almost every group activity or project requires a meeting, or meetings, of some sort. In business organizations, different meetings of executives and employees are held to dicuss and debate upon certain matters for taking collective decisions. At these business meetings different proposals are discussed in the light of their pros and cons, and consensus is reached through interaction and influence among various persons. In business, meeting is any focused conversation that has a specific purpose, like taking decision of share capital,issue of dividents,issue of bonus shares, etc.
Purpose of business meetings:
Business meetings are held:
- To share information or to compare notes on the findings of different memebers.
- To solve certain problems in business.
- To take actions through consensus
- To motivate members in an organization.
Every business organization conducts meetings of the employees, owners and other stakeholders.The company form of organization has to hold different kinds of meetings at various stages of its existence: from the stage of commencement of business to ultimate stage of winding up.
How to organize an effective business meeting?
As discussed earlier, meetings are important in business management.The tips to organize an effective business meeting are as follows:
1. Identify the purpose of the meeting: A business meeting must be purposeful. Whether the objective is to take a decision, solve a problem, provide information, or promote team building, defining the objective ahead of time is crucial.
2. Plan and organize: Make sure that all meeting participants understand its purpose, and the imporatance of their presence at the business meeting. Distribute a draft meeting agenda, and ask for suggestions and comments from participants. This will show that you are willing to involve others in the process.
3. Meeting location: Be sure to reserve a meeting space ahead of time, and ensure that there is plent of seating, adequate lighting, comfortable temperature and proper ventilation. Be aware that the seating arrangement can have a big impact on the effectiveness of the business metting.
4. Materials: Make sure that you have enough copies of all materials, including handouts and agendas. If you will be presenting with visual aids, make sure that your presentation gadgets(like laptops, projectors, boards,laser pointers etc.) are properly set-up and that all participants can see the presenation screen or board easily.
5. Meeting procedures: Make sure to get started on time, and always welcome everyone to the meeting. Begin the business meeting by summarizing the agenda and introducing key roles. Make adjustments as needed, and try to gauge the energy level of the group.
6. Make meeting participatory: Create smaller sub groups out of the larger whole to evaluate and discuss one or two issues. This way, everyone participated in the meeting has an opportunuity to express an opinion and draw on the collective expoerience of others.
7. Evaluate the effectiveness of meeting: Thake the last five to ten minutes of the business metting for participants to evaluate the meeting and discuss what worked, what did not, and how the process can be improved upon. Someone should be assigned to take deatiled notes about the meeting activites.
8. Ending the meeting: Always end a business meeting on an upbeat note. This can be a short summary of the meeting highlights, an inspirational message, or a plan of action based on what was discussed at the meeting. Everyone should have the feeling that the meeting was beneficil and worth the time they spent there.