The term level of management refers to a line of demarcation between various managerial positions. The number of levels of management depends upon the size, technology, degree, of diversity and nature of product. There are mainly three levels of management in most of the organization.
- Top level management
- Middle level management
- Lower level management
The extent to which managers perform the functions of management – planning, organizing, directing, and controlling – varies by level in the management hierarchy.
1. Top Level Management
Top level consists of the board of directors, general manager and other senior executives. They fix the objectives of the organization. They fix the objectives of the organization. They prepare policies and takes important decisions to accomplish the objectives of the organization. They issue instruction and orders to lower level management. Every organization runs by the managers in that organization, who are taking opinion in the all step of organizational activities. In a big organization the computer department responsible for giving information or data also called management information department. In an organizational information system is used to communicate and analyze the in every levels of the organization. In this level decides on the board objectives of an organization.
- The major functions of top level management is planning and organizing.
- The top management determines the mission and sets the goals for the organization.
- Its primary function is long-range planning.
- Top management is accountable for the overall management of the organization.
2. Middle Level Management
Middle level consists of head of financial departments. They are responsible to top management. They are concerned with organization and direction function of management. Interpretation of the programs and policies communicate by the top level management, organizing and manning their departments as per the main plan, plan the departmental operations, guide direct and motivate their workers to attain the objective, co-operate and co-ordinate with other departments, evaluate the performance of his subordinates, collect reports and statics from the lower and send in to top level management. These are the functions of middle level management. Acquire and arrange the resources to meet the goals of an organization. In this level define the detailed tasks to be carried out at the operational level.
- The middle level management implements the top management goals.
- Monitors and controls the operating performance
- Train, motivate and develop the supervisory level.
- Also coordinate the functions of various departments.
3. Lower Level Management
Lower level management is also known as supervisory management. This level includes supervisors, foremen, gang boss, accounts officer, sales officer etc. They are more concerned with direction and control function of management. Their functions are:- plan for a day or weak, organize the activities of his group, allot work to the workers under him, issue instructions at the site, motivate the employees, arrange materials, machines, tools etc. for workers, give guidance and supervise the employees, to maintain discipline and good relations with the groups.
- Supervisors are managers whose major functions emphasize directing and controlling the work of employees in order to achieve the team goals.
- They are the only level of management managing non-managers.
- Thus, most of the supervisor’s time is allocated to the functions of directing and controlling.
- They maintain discipline and good human relations among the workers.